Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Watchmen : The Movie - My First Thoughts

I saw the trailer for the Watchmen movie when I went to see The Dark Knight. It looked okay, and was disappointed to re-discover that Zack "300" Snyder was directing it.

I'm not attacking 300, although I do feel that it is a massively over-rated film, but just don't care for this director. His motto seems to be 'style over substance'.

I'd never read Watchmen, although I'd passed it a million times in the bookstore. I finally bit and bought the book at Barnes and Noble.

It's a fantastic book, and I've been reading little bits and pieces of it at a time, really letting my brain absorb the material. The more and more I read, the more I realize that Zack Snyder is the worst possible choice to direct this. It isn't a comic book about action and special effects; it's a character driven mystery full of wit and social and superhero satire.

I think that, at this point, it's safe to say that Zack Snyder will just fuck it up.

No comments: